Product Privacy Statement
Effective date: September 24, 2019
BuySafe, Inc. (“BuySafe”, “we” or the “company”) provides a white-labeled shopping guarantee program that enables online merchants to provide their consumers with increased confidence and added value via purchase protection and identity theft services (“Shopping Guarantee”).
This Product Privacy Statement is designed to explain to our business customers how we collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process consumer personal information on behalf of our customers in connection with providing our Shopping Guarantee.
Information We Collect
We collect information about consumers and their transactions in the following circumstances:
- If a consumer chooses to establish an online account with us
- When a consumer uses our services, such as making a claim under the Shopping Guarantee
- When a consumer contacts us for customer support or otherwise corresponds with us by phone, email, chat, or other means
- When a consumer visits a participating merchant’s website (in which case, we collect only website usage data described below)
- When a consumer makes a purchase from a participating merchant that offers our Shopping Guarantee
The information we collect may include:
- If the consumer chooses to establish an online account, contact details such as name, phone number, mailing address and email address
- Any information a consumer provides in connection with our services (e.g., when activating a claim), or when communicating with us
- Usage data, such as IP address, browser type, domain name, time and date stamp, referring URL, pages viewed, and number of clicks
- If the consumer completes a purchase, transaction details such as transaction date and time, order number , order amount, and the consumer’s email address
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to:
- Operate the Shopping Guarantee program, including by:
- Facilitating consumers’ onboarding to the program
- Providing program benefits, including identity theft protection services
- Responding to consumers’ claims and other inquiries
- Administering the program
- Customize the consumers’ experience, such as personalizing content and features to better match interests and preferences
- Improve our services and develop new products and services
- Respond to inquiries, complaints, and requests for customer support
- Enable merchants to include a product recommendation for their consumers
- Analyze our services, including by creating and using de-identified data that may not be associated with a specific business customer or consumer. We may use this de-identified information for the purposes described in this Product Privacy Statement and other purposes we deem appropriate.
We may also use the information we maintain as we believe is necessary or appropriate to (a) comply with applicable law; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern our services; (c) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (d) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
How We Share Information
We may share the information we maintain for the purposes set out in this Product Privacy Statement, including
- With the business customers on whose behalf we provide our services (to the extent the information pertains to the merchant’s consumers)
- With bonding and financial institution partners, to deliver a bond or guarantee following a purchase and for resolving transactions that result in a benefit claim
- With third party service providers that perform services on our behalf, including payment processing providers
- With BuySafe affiliates
We may also share personal information with government, law enforcement officials or private parties as required by law, when we believe such disclosure is necessary or appropriate to (a) comply with applicable law; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern our services; (c) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (d) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of the BuySafe business or assets, including personal information, in connection with a business deal (or potential business deal) such as a merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
BuySafe uses appropriate, commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards designed to protect personal data from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction in accordance with applicable law. We cannot, however, guarantee that any safeguards or security measures will be sufficient to prevent a security problem.
Consumers who use the Shopping Guarantee may review the information we maintain about them by submitting a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consumers also may request that we delete their information by closing their online account or emailing the request to email@example.com. When a consumer requests the deletion of an account, we explain that we need to maintain certain minimum information about the consumer to continue to provide the Shopping Guarantee, and offer the consumer a choice whether to proceed with the request.
We also assist our business customers in responding to their consumers’ requests.
International Data Transfer
BuySafe may process personal information outside of the country in which consumers are located, including in the United States. BuySafe has submitted certification to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework, as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce. We comply with the Privacy Shield Framework with regard the collection, storage, use, transfer and other processing of consumer personal data transferred in connection with our services from the European Economic Area or Switzerland to buySAFE in the U.S. To view our Privacy Shield Policy Statement, please visit: https://www.buysafe.com/about/privacy-shield. To learn more about the Privacy Shield and to view the BuySafe certifications, please visit: https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
Third Party Products and Services
BuySafe’s products and services may integrate with or enable access to third-party tools. Consumers who register or install or access any third party tools, may be required to accept privacy notices provided by those third parties. BuySafe does not control and cannot be responsible for these providers’ privacy or information security practices.
How to Contact Us
If you have any question about this Product Privacy Statement, you can contact our privacy team at firstname.lastname@example.org.